Sunday, August 27, 2006

End of Week One at AISB

Bucharest is alive with celebration as AISB teachers scatter among the pubs and restaurants to raise an elbow to the end of Week One. It’s really been very good. As I knew they would be, the students are world-wise, curious, ambitious and talkative! The class size here at AISB is dreamland. A number of homeroom classes feature 8 – 10 students per, but boy do they keep you on your toes at all times with their responses, their ten million questions and their impatience to let you in on every angle of the topic at hand. We’ve had to fashion class agreements by which we can run a civil conversation, and this is typical in all classrooms. In many ways, it’s highly stimulating to work in this environment. It certainly gives one pause to reflect on class environments in places where this kind of importunate student is sometimes considered “principal’s office” material! These students have so much to offer; I'm looking forward to the venture and cross my fingers that their ongoing inquisitiveness will be satiated even if they may not all talk at once. On the other hand, there is still much ground to be covered in the music department. The kids seem more than keen to hear about music history, and we need to get on the “same page” in the music theory department.

In other news, Millie is driving in Bucharest! Actually, the little yellow car hopped around for the first while, until my early training on a standard came home to roost. But the Romanians are kind and refrained from honking as I stalled when entering intersections and fought to feel the difference between first and reverse backing out of parking lots. Thank goodness for the colour of the car. Thank goodness for a patient and kind husband. Thank goodness the car that I nearly hit wasn’t occupied. I gave the car’s guard a scare though. I have no idea what he said to me.

We are still trying to get a handle on a schedule that will allow for eating properly. We have many not-so-hilarious-until-you-tell-someone stories about cooking home-style out here. Don’t even get me stahted about the things that can’t be found on the grocery shelves! On the other hand, we’re looking forward to scouring the net for a hundred ways with eggplant. Millie made chicken noodle soup and invited the neighbours. Now, trying to find star anise in Bucharest --- there’s a story! When you buy a package of spices, there are many pictured on the front. It turns out that a Romanian's guess is as good as mine when it comes to figuring out which one is actually inside the sealed package. A very nice fellow "helped" me find the correct one, insisting (pointing) that it matched the star anise pictured on the package. Bear in mind that pictured along with it were cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and cloves. The package felt bumpy like anise, so I thanked him profusely and went on my way. Of course you can guess the end of the story because otherwise I wouldn’t be telling it. Cloves! Needless to say, I passed on the cloves, added 3 bay leaves, peppercorns and three batches of parsley. The neighbours said it was the best soup they ever had. I think Ed called them ahead to tell them to say that, as he was there to witness my momentary meltdown over the star anise bit.

Today promises to be another scalding day. I think this year will be remembered by us as the hottest in our memories, beginning with June in Canada. We'll remember that in February! Hope that you are all well and happy!

Millie

No comments: